Friday, September 11, 2009

The Sound Of Silence

The scream. The scream of my granddaughter. When she’s near me, she will often let go with an ear piercing, glass shattering scream, usually directed at my ear. And I don’t know why. She seems happy enough, as she usually gives me a big grin afterward. I don’t try to stop her, because she’s likely shouting just for the joy of life. And we lose that feeling all too soon. She also likes to turn on noisy, battery run toys and put them up to my ear. Now I know why so many grandparents are partially deaf. I love her and miss her when she’s gone. One thing I don’t miss is the scream. It is lovely to stand in the middle of the house and listen to the silence. Not that it would be all the time. I would soon want to hear little feet running. But we need silent times to refresh ourselves and collect our thoughts. Isaiah 30:15 says “In quietness and trust is your strength.” First Thessalonians says “ Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life” The writer obviously had no children or grandchildren. Jesus would go away to find quiet and peace. He told people many times to be quiet, and often when asked something, his answer was silence. Our Bible tells us to “Be still and know that I am God.” We need to have times when we put aside all things, and listen for God and to God. 1 Peter says that the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit is of great worth in God’s sight.

No comments:

The Big Cat

 Not to be outdone by that upstart The Big Cow and his friends, the Big Cat bought a new Easter bonnet! It is purrrfectly lovely! And while ...