Saturday, April 23, 2011

Consider The Lilies



















Tomb, you shall not hold him longer


Death is strong, but life is stronger


Stronger than the dark, the light


Stronger than the wrong, the right


Faith and hope triumphant say


Christ will rise on Easter Day



While the patient earth lies waiting


Till the morning shall be breaking


Shuddering beneath the burden dread


Of her master, cold and dead


Hark! She hears the angels say


Christ will rise on Easter Day



And when the sunrise smites the mountains


Pouring light from heavenly fountains


Then the earth blooms out to greet


Once again the blessed feet


And her countless voices say


Christ has risen on Easter Day.


Phillips Brooks



The Easter lily is really a native of Japan, and these lilies are often called "White robed apostles of hope". An old story says that these lilies started in the Garden Of Eden from the teardrops of
Eve that she spread while leaving the garden. They symbolize Easter for their purity and innocence, the hanging head representing humility, and the bulb signaling a new birth. So when Easter comes, consider the lilies.



"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?"



"I will heal their waywardness


and love them freely,


for my anger has turned away from them.


I will be like the dew to Israel;


he will blossom like a lily."


Hosea 14:4,5

27 comments:

MadSnapper said...

hey ginny, this is really beautiful, i love the poem. i had not heard the story of the lilies either. beautiful. have a happy Easter with your family and stay away from the chocolate!
you have no comments because the comments thingy is way down to far I almost missed it.
to fix it go to edit the post, put your cursor after the last words and hit delete button until the scroll bar on the side stops moving.

Reanaclaire said...

Beautiful... enchanting Lily...
Ginny, u wrote the poem yourself? :)

Tracy said...

My mom always use to donate lilies in remembrance of my grandparents on Easter Sunday!

The resurrection gives my life meaning and direction and the opportunity to start over no matter what my circumstances. ~Robert Flatt
Have a wonderfully splendid Easter Ginny!

Melanie said...

What a beautiful poem, and your pictures are gorgeous as always! Lilies are just so beautiful.
Happy Easter! ♥

Ann said...

So pretty. We were in the store yesterday and I spotted a display of lilies. I wished I would have put my camera in my purse before we left home.

Happy Easter to you

Ruth Hiebert said...

The Lilies are gorgeous,but more beautiful yet,is the fact that Christ arose.Hallelujah!

Peggy said...

What a beautiful poem! The lillies are absolutely gorgeous, as well!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Happy Easter to you and yours.
Hugs,
Betsy

LV said...

Thanks for sharing this very inspiring post with us.

Karin said...

What a wonderful poem Ginny, I loved it. Have a blessed day thinking of our beautiful Savior! He is risen, just as He said He would!

Stephanie V said...

Your poem is lovely.
While I agree that they are beautiful, I just can't love lilies. A long-ago boyfriend brought me some when I was ill - what was he thinking?

Anonymous said...

Hi Ginny, He is risen! My wish for you is a very happy and joy-filled Easter for you and your family. I love Lillies of all kinds.

Doris Sturm said...

What beautiful pictures, Ginny, and thanks for the history lesson about the Easter Lily...what a magnificent flower. I usually try to have one in the house during Easter, but without a car, it's not that easy to shop around!

Happy Easter to you and your family. I went back and read your previous blogs and loved all the photos of those cheerful chicks and ducklings...they are adorable.

Anonymous said...

♥Nice post.) Love your blog.))♥

Fred Alton said...

Happy Easter, Ginny! May the living Christ always wrap your deeds with the fragrance of the lilies.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Happy Easter, Ginny. Your post today was lovely. Enjoys the remains of the day. Blessings...Mary

Bobbie said...

I hope your Easter was blessed, Ginny. Love the lilies! You know something about everything! If I ever need to know something... I can just bypass the internet and come to you...lol. Honestly, I am learning a lot from you. Now if I could just remember...

Glenda said...

I love the pure white beauty of these lilies! Hope you've had a wonderful Easter, Ginny!

srp said...

The Easter lilies around here are all pot grown... those planted in the ground do not bloom until late into May. Beautiful poems and verses and pictures all rolled into one.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue ι™ˆζ΄ι›ͺ said...

Such a lovely poem.

When I was growing up in a Roman Catholic family, we used to sing Oh Lily of the valley.

re: Glacier,

People from all over the world come to New Zealand because you can walk straight to the terminus. Now that I am older and wiser, I will not do a reckless thing. Actually after going, I said I won't go again. It was just too hard.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post! It's so interesting to know about the stories associated with these pretty blooms.

SquirrelQueen said...

What a beautiful poem Ginny and your the lily photos are gorgeous.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

beautiful words and beautiful flowers. I love the way they smell.
I hope you had a happy Easter.

S. Etole said...

so beautiful and I enjoyed the background history ...

Kilauea Poetry said...

I read and re-read the lines..I really enjoyed this!! The teardrops of eve- that is so cool!! Loved this thoughtful post along with your lilies. Wishing you a wondeful week..I'm a bit behind but am trying to get it together (ha ha)..

Chatty Crone said...

I love this quote, "And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?"

IT's hard not to worry - but it's a goal.

Lynn said...

Simply beautiful Ginny. The poem, the entire post, the beautiful photography. We do think a lot alike. Blessings.

The Big Cow - Easter 2024

 The Big Cow is all dressed up and ready for Easter. And he has brought along some of his friends as well!