Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Jupiter & It's Moons

Yesterday evening, the weather man said that the moon was full, and it was the perfect time to see Jupiter. We grabbed the camera and ran out. The moon had risen about an hour ago, and here is what I snapped. Here is the moon with Jupiter beside it.

And here is Jupiter. Jupiter is the biggest planet in the solar system. You could fit a thousand earths in it. See how it appears to be flickering in some pictures and almost looks like there are waves of water over it. This is because it is spinning very very fast! Much faster then Earth. We could see it spin, and the effect is described as flattening it out, kind of like pizza dough. And it really did look like that!




Jupiter has at least 50 moons. And I was able to see and snap the closest three!! Yes, the moons of Jupiter! I was so excited! So here is Jupiter, and I hope you can see the three specks that are it's moons circling it. And all without a tripod!


“There are also heavenly bodies and there are earthly bodies; but the splendor of the heavenly bodies is one kind, and the splendor of the earthly bodies is another. The sun has one kind of splendor, the moon another and the stars another; and star differs from star in splendor.”

1 Corinthians 15
P.S. I just got word that one of my best friends has died at 11:05 P.M. I have been sitting in the hospital with her for the last few evenings. I will be taking off from blogging for a day to be with her family.

24 comments:

Linda said...

Great pics! I am so sorry about you losing your friend.....

Linda said...

Ginny, my heart goes out to you over the loss of your friend. Love your photos.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

HI Ginny So sorry to hear about your friend. These are marvellous images.

Ann said...

Oh my word, Ginny that is so fascinating.
I am so sorry to hear about your friend. Thoughts and prayers

From the Kitchen said...

Amazing photos! I'll be thinking about you as you deal with the loss of your dear friend.

Best,
Bonnie

Tamago said...

Oh my goodness, such special and gorgeous photos! I love the photos and your expresiion of Jupiter spinning like pizza dough :-) I can see three moons - how fascinating!

I am so sorry to hear about your best friend. Please accept my heartfelt condolences.

MadSnapper said...

so sorry to hear your friend died. this is awesome, i have never seen the moon and jupiter. we are in bed when it rises. i see it in the AM and this week has been HUGE... and beautiful. wow on the shot with jupiter and its moons. great shots

Nancy Chan said...

Ginny, thank you for sharing these awesome pictures of Jupiter and its 3 moons. So sorry to hear about your friend and so kind of you to spend time with her family. May God's peace, love and strength be with you and her family.

George said...

You did a great job of capturing Jupiter. Very well done!

Rose said...

Oh, Ginny, so sorry for your loss.

I will be thinking of you.

LV said...

I have tried to get photos of the various moon changes, but guess I do not know how to focus my camera. You did a great job.

Ramakant Pradhan said...

Really sorry to hear about your loss. May your memories of the time together give you peace and strength in the days ahead.

Shug said...

These are really some neat photos....I wish I had seen them. Probably would not have been able to, since it is so cloudy and misty here. Jupiter is big, isn't it? Awesome!

Ruth Hiebert said...

My sympathies to you on the passing of one so dear to you.

photowannabe said...

So sorry for the loss of your friend Ginny. You are blessed to be a good friend.
Amazing photos of Jupiter too.

Hootin Anni said...

Oh....sad news.

There is just too much death around me this past few weeks. I will keep you and your friend in my thoughts and prayers.

Cool images of the moon and Jupiter Ginny.

EG CameraGirl said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Ginny!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

God Bless You, Ginny. My sympathy and prayers for the loss of your friend.

Love seeing Jupiter and its moons.

Hugs,
Betsy

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Great captures, Ginny! I'm so sorry about your friend.

Lady Jane said...

Sorry for your loss Ginny. It is hard to lose someone you love.

DeniseinVA said...

I am so sorry Ginny, sending a hug to you and letting you know you're in my thoughts and prayers.

These beautiful heavenly images make a lovely tribute to your dear best friend.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I am so sorry to hear about your friend.

This is the coolest thing! I am so glad you got pictures to share!

Small Kucing said...

My condolences. Sorry for your loss. Take all the time you need. Take care too, Ginny

Catherine said...

Dear Ginny, The heavens are filled with such wonder and beauty. When my children were little we would spend time looking at the stars and finding the constellations. Those are good memories.
I am sure your heart is full of good memories of your friend; though I am so sorry for the hurt.
I will keep both you and your friend in my prayers and heart. xoxo Catherine

The Big Cow - Easter 2024

 The Big Cow is all dressed up and ready for Easter. And he has brought along some of his friends as well!