Wednesday, April 3, 2019

The Thorns

We passed this tree several weeks ago. I wish I knew what it is, but I do not. In my research, I found out that a lot of trees have thorns, including the Hawthorne. That makes sense because of it's name, Haw THORNE. But this tree still remains a mystery.



Several common trees have thorns. Thorns are a defense mechanism evolved by them and are actually modified branches. 



“So Pilate took Jesus and had him whipped. The soldiers, having braided a crown from thorns, set it on his head, threw a purple robe over him, and approached him with, “Hail, King of the Jews!” Then they greeted him with slaps in the face.
John 19


12 comments:

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Wait until it has sprouted leaves and you will have a much better of IDing it

Ann said...

I have no idea what kind of tree it is but those are some nasty looking thorns on it. Like Margaret said, with leaves it should be easier to identify.

Tamago said...

That is a very thorny tree! I've never been aware of any large trees with thorns. I wonder if birds and squirrel still visit those trees :-)

Rose said...

I have some photos of the things...I need to do research. We always called them thorn trees...lol. I am wondering if they are some type of locust.

George said...

I wish I could help you identify the tree, but I can't.

The Feminine Energy said...

OUCH!!! I do not like plants or trees or bushes with thorns. I have two huge forsythia bushes that are thorny and I do NOT like them a one bit. And naturally both are growing by leaps and bounds. *lol* I keep them trimmed back but it's no small feat every autumn. Love, Andrea xoxo

Ruth Hiebert said...

At first glance I began thinking of the crown of thorns put on the head of Jesus.

Trini Altea said...

He visto árboles con espinas pero este no se que arbol es.
Que tengas buen fin de semana

Reanaclaire said...

A very thorny tree indeed! It is not climbable.. LOL..

DeniseinVA said...

An appropriate post and quote from John 19 with Easter approaching. Lovely photos of the thorns, very striking with that beautiful sky beyond.

Chatty Crone said...

Those look like the thorns they madefor Jesus as his croanl

L. D. said...

I remember the name of the tree when I was a kid and we had one on the farm. The thorns are really threatening.

Virginia Bluebells

 The Virginia Bluebells are blooming now. They are so pretty and delicate. Here are some a few blocks away. Here are some Bluebell tattoos I...