Tuesday, April 9, 2019

The Wild Ones

These little purple flowers are everywhere now. They blanket yards and the side of the roads. They are wild violets. And some people even believe they are (gasp!) invasive!! To me, this sweetness and beauty is a gift, not an invasive foe!


There is a myth that violets first bloomed when the angel Gabriel told Mary that she would give birth to Jesus. So they represent love, humility, and faithfulness.



"…God sent the angel Gabriel to the Galilean village of Nazareth to a virgin engaged to be married to a man descended from David. His name was Joseph, and the virgin’s name, Mary. Upon entering, Gabriel greeted her:

Good morning!
You’re beautiful with God’s beauty,
Beautiful inside and out!
God be with you.
29-33 She was thoroughly shaken, wondering what was behind a greeting like that. But the angel assured her, “Mary, you have nothing to fear. God has a surprise for you: You will become pregnant and give birth to a son and call his name Jesus…
34 Mary said to the angel, “But how? I’ve never slept with a man.”
35 The angel answered,

The Holy Spirit will come upon you,
    the power of the Highest hover over you;
Therefore, the child you bring to birth
    will be called Holy, Son of God."
Luke 1

14 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

I love those sweet and small Violets.These darker ones are gorgeous. I have some on my yard, but they are much lighter in color.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

A lovely carpet of purple/blue

Ann said...

Invasive or not, they are pretty

Hootin Anni said...

Wish WE had them here!

Hootin Anni said...

Wish WE had them here!

MadSnapper said...

they can invade my yard any time... really beautiful and I did not know about these... beautiful inside and out, just Like Mary

George said...

I'd welcome them in our yard any time!

Tamago said...

They are so beautiful! I didn't know they could be considered invasive by some people. I love the close-up photo. Very pretty :-)

Sandi said...

What she must have felt like...

But Mary had learned, even in her few years, that she could trust God. I wonder how she learned that. Her cousin Elizabeth had learned it too. There is a story there. Can't wait to hear it one day!


Reanaclaire said...

Now spring is in the air, Ginny... flowers will be blooming everywhere..

Carla from The River said...

I love violets. I welcome them to come grow in my yard. :-)

Rose said...

Oh I love them...I even think their leaves are beautiful!

Inger said...

The violets are very special as is the story from the Bible.

Nancy Chan said...

Even the wild flowers are so beautiful. Now I know that these flowers stand for love, humility and faithfulness.

A Full House

 While waiting in line at the drug store drive-thru, I spotted this little House Sparrow. I usually think of them as common and drab. But my...