Friday, September 4, 2009

Let There Be Light











Sunglasses. What’s up with them? I know this makes me a geezer, an old fogey. Call me what you will. But I just don’t understand people who wear sunglasses most of the time. It’s usually young people. And by this, I mean anyone under 40. When I was younger, back in prehistoric times, hardly anyone wore them. Now they’re a fashion statement, a status accessory, with people paying big bucks for designer brands. And people wear them all the time, even in the winter. Especially celebrities. Possibly because they don’t want us to see that they are hung over or using drugs. A person’s eyes can tell a lot about them, and it makes me uneasy to talk to someone and not see their eyes. What are they hiding? Come out, come out, wherever you are! Young people out there, clue me in. Send me a comment. Give me a shout out. Hey to my teenage friend Melinda! What’s up with this, Melinda? Well, come to think of it, I’ve never seen her wearing any. Good for her. I can’t stand sunglasses. I did give in and buy a pair of pink Dora ones for my little granddaughter. So now she cannot say I’m not with it. I want to be a hip granny. She said “Grandma, I think I love them!” So of course it was worth it. She’s pictured here wearing them. She’s blurry because she’s dancing for joy. My husband and I never wear them. Many years ago, we read in a Rodale publication that sunlight is good for the eyes. Of course, we shouldn’t stare straight at the sun. But Ecc. 11:7 says “Light is sweet, and it pleases the eye to see the sun.” I wonder if some of these sunglass wearers have ever seen the sun? I can never get enough light. Not ever. My vision is bad anyway. The Psalms tell us that God “wraps himself in light, as with a garment.” I would do that if I could. The first thing I do when I wake up is pull all the drapes wide open, then turn on all the lights. We have lots of strong light bulbs. And it’s still not enough. I don’t want anything that dims or changes the light. Just pure light. I want to see things the way they really are, not obscured by lenses. The world already has too much darkness everywhere. We walk through the darkness. Isaiah 59:9 says “We look for light, but all is darkness; for brightness, but we walk in deep shadows.” But though we walk in the darkness, we are not a part of it. The Psalms say “He has made His light shine upon us.” And 1 Ths. Says “You are all sons of the light and sons of the day.” So we are to shine our lights in the darkness. The book of John says that the light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it. The Psalms also tell us that the commands of the lord are radiant, giving light to the eyes. God Himself is a being of unapproachable light. But whether we wear sunglasses or not, Christians are always in the light. 1 Peter 2:9 “You are a chosen people, a royal priesthood…a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.” And that’s a light that no one will need sunglasses for.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ginny, have you read C. S. Lewis' "Out of the Silent Planet"? It is science fiction, and during space travel to Mars he describes the glorious light of the sun, unobscured by the earth's atmosphere.

Forsythia!

 The Forsythia are blooming now, and seem to scream joy and sunshine. Here are ones in town. This is our little one in the front yard. This ...