Thursday, September 24, 2009

Quilts I Have Known
















I wanted to share these quilts with you because I think they are awesome. They are by Lee Porter, and they depict events in the Bible. Ruth and Naomi, the naming of Isaac, Lazarus being risen, the waters of Babylon, loaves and fishes. I was just sent a lovely story about quilts. A man died and faced his maker at the last judgment, along with others. An angel sat before each person, sewing many squares of fabric, which represented the stages and years of their lives. And each person had a quilt of their life made from their squares. This man noticed that the others all had rich colorful quilts. But his angel was making a tattered quilt full of holes. The squares with the largest holes were the hardships he had endured. He was ashamed and thought his life had been a failure. Finally the time came to hold up the quilt of each person’s life. He rose slowly and lifted the squares of his life to the light. The light flooded through the holes, creating the image of the face of Jesus. And this is what Jesus said to him “Each point of light in your life is when you stepped aside and let me shine through, till there was more of me than there was of you. Every time you gave your life to me, it became My life.” This makes me think of what John The Baptist said. “He must increase, but I must decrease.” The one who made us tells us that we are His. So the life our quilt should depict is not ours. Because, after all, our lives never really did belong to us.

No comments:

Nervous At Hobby Lobby

 Next to our parked car at Hobby Lobby, we spotted these two cuties. They were clearly nervous and shaky. But then, when is a Chihuahua not ...