Sunday, September 6, 2009

Running On Empty


Psalm 118:21 “I will give you thanks, for you answered me. You have become my salvation.”
My husband and I were driving over Afton Mountain this weekend when he informed me that our gas gauge was on empty. A minute or so later, he asked me if I had the cell phone. This was not good. If you know me well, you’ll be surprised to know that I continued to carry on a pleasant conversation, and did not say one word about it. Ecclesiastes tells us to banish anxiety from our hearts, though that can be a hard thing to do. But I guess that’s what I did on this day. Then he said “Well, at least we have some excitement on Labor Day weekend.” This kind of excitement I don’t need. But we made it over the mountain and to a gas station. Only it was the beginning of Labor Day weekend. There were lots of lines at the gas station, and the attendant informed Phil that the pumps were running slow. Very slow. It was a long wait to get the gas. First all the excitement, then the wait. This leads me to ask you a question. If you could choose that most of your life would be either anxious excitement or boredom, which would you pick? Send me a comment. At sixty years old, I can’t afford to lose any more adrenaline, so I suppose I would pick the boredom. At my age, a good day is when nothing happens. But I have never been bored in my entire life. Perhaps because I was an only child. When I was growing up, we had no color T.V., video games, I Pods, or any other gizmos. As a result, I never relied on anything else to entertain me. So waiting in line for gas was not a bore to me. I had my husband to chat with, and a lot of frustrated people on a holiday to observe. Pass the popcorn. The holiday weekend is still in the early stages, and already I have another thing to be so very thankful for. Tonight, as the song goes, I’ll be counting my blessings instead of sheep. 2 Chron. 20:21 “Give thanks to the Lord, for his love endures forever.”

No comments:

The Big Cow - Easter 2024

 The Big Cow is all dressed up and ready for Easter. And he has brought along some of his friends as well!