Friday, October 2, 2009

Birds On A Wire


I just took this picture this evening, and it’s pretty good considering the conditions. We were on a major highway, driving past at a pretty good speed. All these birds lined up on power lines. We see it all the time, and it’s always been a mystery to me. Does anyone know what the deal is? Why do they form long lines on wires instead of perching in trees? Are they eyeing the highway for road kill? Are their little clawed feet getting some warmth from the wires? I believe these particular birds are starlings. They tend to line up more than other species. A migrating flock of starlings can number 100,000. Members of the myna family, starlings are legendary mimics of everything. They can talk in rhyme and also make up their own words. Pliny The Elder taught starlings to speak Greek and Latin. Mozart had a pet starling that liked to sing along with his music, and some say that he wove starling tunes into his compositions. When the bird died, he staged an elaborate funeral for it, and friends were to attend dressed accordingly and sing hymns. Psalm 63:7 “Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings. My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me.”

1 comment:

MadSnapper said...

Ginny, looks like a few hundred, maybe a few thousand. lots of info here i did not know about starlings

Walking Among The Dead

 Yes, I walked among the dead for you, my awesome blog followers. That would be Purple Dead Nettle, also called Purple Dead Thistle. It is n...