Sunday, May 16, 2010

How Green Was My Valley

A Valley Of Sheep

Green Valleys

Finally Arriving


Kids Were Loving Getting Measured Here



Huge Inside, With Many Rooms




Phil Obligingly Posing With An Armload Of Our Purchases





Free Bookmarks Showing Upcoming Book Fair Dates






All The Books We Got







Oops! I Almost Forgot Our Little Trumpeting Elephant, Ella's Favorite Animal!
Now why would I have this giant turkey statue on my header? Because today we went to Rockingham County, which has a huge turkey industry, so this turkey welcomes people across the county line. Too bad, because it belies a beautiful area of Virginia. Rolling hills, farms, and mountains. And we were headed for the Green Valley Book Fair, a really big deal around here. It comes here about every other month, with loads of overstock books at up to 80% and 90% off Though it has been around for years, this was my first trip. The trip is lovely, about a half hour away, so I have tried to record it on this post. The Book Fair is two floors and many rooms of books, absolutely huge. I was only able to cover a small area, perhaps I'll make another trip. When the fair comes to the area, they usually stay about two weeks. I only shopped in the children's section today, and got some delightful books for the two girls in our life. At least 13 books, many hardcover, plus this elephant that makes sound, all for about $40.00. As Martha Stewart would say "It's a good thing."
"Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. Earth and sky fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in in the books." Rev. 20:11,12









14 comments:

DawnTreader said...

That looks like fun. Nice trip and a coming home with a lot of bargains, what more can one ask. And I expect the children in your life will be delighted, too!

Our Journey said...

I had no idea you'd never been to the book fair! We LOVE it! They have a GREAT little kids Christian book section - we've even got Mimi alot of books about little Chinese girls/boys there. p.s. it's always better to go w/in the first few days --- things get really picked over!!

MadSnapper said...

Oh boy, Oh boy, Oh boy, a road trip, a chicken AND a building full of books. what could be better. did you happen to find the book chicken little??? ha ha you know what i mean. did you pass any BIG TRUCKS? i am being bad. sorry

RoeH said...

Awwwww...rolling green hills, green trees, cool green weather...do you notice there's something missing in my life? I'd like to transport myself into your world. And then you throw lots of books into it. *sigh*

Beverly said...

Well, I have something on you. I've been to the Green Valley book fair three times, I think. I love to go there. Ella likes it too.

I love the photo of the green hills...beautiful.

From the Kitchen said...

Ginny: Why does the armadillo have horns? Because it is in Texas!! Andrew is my husband. He was invited back to the University of Houston pharmacy school graduation because he was a long, long ago graduate who was valedictorian and a summa cum laude. After graduation, we were treated to a lunch with the dean and his wife and made to feel very special. Of course, my husband is very special. He had never mentioned these honors because he doesn't like to "toot his own horn". I found out at the ceremony!!

I typed you a long comment this morning and it wouldn't post. So here's the shortened version: I love, love, love the book fair and have been many times. When our boys were little, I purchased armloads of books for them. It's amazing to drive through the beautiful countryside and happen upon such a place. Thanks for the memories. You are my Virginia connection for such "adventures".

Best,
Bonnie

From the Kitchen said...

P.S. I have never seen that "turkey". How could I miss it? Where is it?

Best,
Bonnie

aspiritofsimplicity said...

The pictures of the sheep and fields are beautiful. Looks like you had fun.

SquirrelQueen said...

It doesn't get much better than a drive through rolling green hills, beautiful weather and a book fair. Sounds like a perfect day to me.

We have an annual book fair here but it is small compared to yours. I can spend hours browsing through the piles.

Glenda said...

Oh, I'd love to visit that book fair! I don't think I've ever heard of one that large! Love your selection of books, too!

George said...

This looks like a wonderful event. I love books and would gladly drive to Rockingham County to look for some bargains. I really like Ella's elephant.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Wow--what a great Book Fair you got to go to... You got alot of great books for $40... Incredible!!!!! I'll bet you will go again --when they return!!

Beautiful drive also... Don't you love seeing all of those green valleys???!!!! NEAT!

Great post, Ginny.
Hugs,
Betsy

Dawning Inspiration said...

oooh - fun - shopping for books! I could look and browse for hours!!

Kilauea Poetry said...

This does look fun. We've had library book sales but not the same. At least you get scenery and a break out doors too. Pretty photos and it looks like you got some really good deals! Good for you..glad you enjoyed yourselves and you could bring something nice back for the kids. I love childrens books too!
You spiced this with Revelation I see. "The books will be opened". That verse always got me.
Anyway, have a wonderful evening-

The Big Cow - Easter 2024

 The Big Cow is all dressed up and ready for Easter. And he has brought along some of his friends as well!