Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Both Sides
















Today you get two posts for the price of one! Scroll down to view the video on the second post about missing Madeline.Do you remember the old Joni Mitchell song "Both Sides"? Both sides is what today's post is about. This blog was a promise to show how I see God in my everyday life, so I will not back down when it comes to controversial stuff. I do not intend to make anyone upset or mad, which is why I have waited until after Halloween to post this. I do not dislike or avoid people who disagree with me. I was shopping in Target a while back,when I found myself in a wide, main aisle, and it was there that I stopped, stunned. The shelves on my right had Christmas things:Cards, angels, and lights. On my left was the dark side:Halloween things. Witches, blood, and skulls. After I collected my wits,I collected my camera, as you can see. I clearly stood between two worlds. And this is much more than a metaphor, it's the truth of life. It's the choice we all must make. The light on the right, or the dark on the left. Both are very real and nothing to take lightly. 1 John 1:5 says "God is light;in him there is no darkness at all." And the book of Isaiah says "The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death, a light has dawned." We all walk in great darkness without God. And when we follow Jesus, we are assured ofeternal life, not a death that leads to darkness. Satan has a counterfeit of everything, and surely Halloween isthe anti-Christmas. The shelves in Target couldn't have said it any plainer. I decorate quite a bit for Fall, but we have pumpkins, not jack-o-lanterns. We have fall leaves and candy corn, not witches and skeltons. Nothing spooky or dark here. The little girl we babysit is already having nightmares about spooky displays in the stores. I have no problem at all with children wearing cute costumes that are not scary, but there's enough darkness in this world already without celebrating it, and the older you get, the more darkness you see. Several of my friends agree with me, and some do not. That is fine. This world is not my home, but when I get there,I want The Light.

2 comments:

MadSnapper said...

amen sister, you preach it. I agree 100% that we are caught between God and Satan and dark and light. what a great story and that you saw it. i might have missed it.
how is your grandaughter, did the fever go away?

Anonymous said...

"...there's enough darkness in this world already without celebrating it..." - I agree completely!

I've been enjoying your blog. You put a lot of thought into what you write - your posts are always so informative, along with being enjoyable to read. :-)

The Big Cow - Easter 2024

 The Big Cow is all dressed up and ready for Easter. And he has brought along some of his friends as well!