Thursday, January 28, 2010

A Great Wall?













On the news today, it was reported that that China has just built a chocolate theme park, using 176,000 pounds of chocolate. Everything in the park is made of chocolate, including clothes, real size cars, and a replica of the Great Wall Of China. When it showed The Great Wall Of Chocolate, I snapped the first two pictures. That's when I knew what today's post would be. The rest of the pictures are the real Great Wall, as taken by my son and daughter-in-law when they went to China three years ago. That is them in the last picture, Mike and Melissa. The Great Wall is one of the seven wonders of the world, over 2,000 years old, and the largest man made structure in the world. There is a fanciful tale that a friendly dragon traced out it's course, and the workers just had to follow it's tracks. The other day I laughed when I read that the day after the wall was completed, the neighbor's dog got through! Seriously, though, people being what they are, it didn't take long to figure out how to get through. They simply bribed the guards. There's probably not a wall anywhere that someone can't get through if they really want to. What say you, are walls ever a good thing, except for protection against floods and nature? Back in prehistoric times, when I was a girl, if a neighbor built a very high fence, it was called a "spite fence". But I haven't heard that term used in many moons. Here is the account of a perfect, impenetrable wall. Zechariah 2:3,5 says "Jerusalem will be a city without walls....and I myself will be a wall of fire around it," declares the Lord, "and I will be it's glory within." They will need no walls, because they will have God himself as their wall. Nothing can get through a wall of fire, can it? Fire can expand to accomodate more, or shrink to protect better. A promise of hope and comfort for the future to encourage the people of Jerusalem. Walls and fences, do they divide or protect?

5 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Ginny, Bet you didn't know that George taught in China (exchange college professor) several times in the late 80's/early 90's (before I met him). He loved China --and has posted alot of pictures of the Great Wall on his blogs.

Chocolate park, huh????? Wonder how long that will last??????

Great picture of your son and daughter-in-law.

Hugs,
Betsy

SquirrelQueen said...

The Great Wall is one of those places I would love to visit someday. Great photo of your son and DIL. A chocolate theme park? Like Betsy, I wonder how long it will last.

The pictures on my post today. At first I thought it was Bob Dylan but no, then I thought maybe Jim Morrison. Could that be him? Next time I'm over that way I will see what is written in the corner of each picture, I think it just the artist and date but maybe the names are on there too. It's just a blur when I blow up the photo.

Judy

MadSnapper said...

I like fences for privacy, walls are different to me. I don't like big walls like this one that keep people in or out of a country, but then I think i would like to have a wall between us and Mexico. never really thought about it and will have to do some more thinking. food for thought here. great photos. people build walls to protect themselves from others and don't even realize we do it. but i do like fences, still thinking about walls.

George said...

I saw reports of the chocolate park on television, but didn't get any pictures. I was impressed with the chocolate Great Wall, however. I'm glad your daughter-in-law and son enjoyed visiting the real thing however.

Stephanie V said...

Yes, I've seen the news reports on this, too. It must be news all over N America! I'm just wondering what happens to all that chocolate...does it ever go bad?

BTW, Ginny, the round things in my photo are tai chi wheels. See my post here

www.rowanberrystudio.blogspot.com/2009/09/play-day.html

to find out where they are.

The Big Cow - Easter 2024

 The Big Cow is all dressed up and ready for Easter. And he has brought along some of his friends as well!