Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Beginning And The End

A short while ago, I had a one to two year period where I was taking care of a beautiful baby part of the time, and the rest of the time I was with three older people who were dying. I loved all these people very much, and they loved me. My days alternated between these two. Part of my day was feeling new smooth baby skin and rhymes, laughter and toys. Then on to beloved, wrinkled skin that had seen many years, and very wise utterings. This was a strange, beautiful, and heartbreaking time for me. I felt as If I were standing between two worlds. At times it seemed like I was a bridge between life and death. One day when I was sobbing to my best friend, she said this was not good for me and she was worried about me. She said I needed to make time to have some fun with my middle aged friends. But this was what I was handed, and I would stay till the end. Not one end came, but many, and each with their own sadness. This all had a profound effect on me, in some ways that I am still trying to comprehend today. I think of my son and granddaughter and wonder if they will ever be given a window in time like this. And If they ever encounter this strange gift, I would tell them this: Teach, and learn. Be delighted, and fall to your knees. Because God will pick you up. And when he does, blink your eyes hard and take a good look around. Because your world will have changed forever. But wait. It’s not the world that’s different. Only you.
“How priceless is your unfailing love. In your light, we see light.”“I am the First and the Last. The Beginning and the End

No comments:

The Big Cat

 Not to be outdone by that upstart The Big Cow and his friends, the Big Cat bought a new Easter bonnet! It is purrrfectly lovely! And while ...