Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Communications




What’s up with telephone books these days? We have been getting so many calls from one company. They are very concerned to know if we got our phone book. If we want it. If we like it. Where on our property they can leave it. They call and wake us up, call at dinner, call all the time. They use automated voices and real people. This is really an urgent matter to them. I wish I would get as much attention from people when I really did have an urgent matter. Like the doctor’s office. Or the drug store. Just a few years ago, we got one phone book, two if we were lucky. The residential, and the Yellow Pages. Sometimes carelessly thrown in the yard. Now we have a million. All published by different companies. Yellow Pages, Yellow Book, City, County, City & County combined. We have so many that they won’t fit in our big divided magazine rack. It seems the most important thing in the world now is communications. People on cell phones as they drive. Puzzled husbands trying to grocery shop using their cell phones to quiz their wives. E-mail. E-mail on cell phones and blackberries. And we soon got bored with talking to one friend at a time. Now we have to talk to them in huge bunches and groups on Facebook and Twitter. Heaven forbid we should not be in touch with every single person at all times via every piece of equipment we own. And yes, it’s true; I’m one of the worst offenders. But to these phone book callers I say: enough is enough. And you know what? Even with a zillion phone books, it’s still no easier for me to find a number. Maybe worse. I end up having them strewn all over the couch and floor, totally exasperated. It’s so much easier to call God. No phone numbers required. All we have to do is earnestly call out. Wouldn’t it be nice if people were just as concerned with constantly keeping in touch with God as they are with everyone else? I read somewhere that we should use our Bible like our cell phones. Take it with us, and have special passages written down that we can “speed dial” in it. Wear it out so that we need a new one every few years. God is in constant contact with us, and wants us to return that. Psalm 17:6 “I call on you, O God, for you will answer me.” Psalm 86:7: “In the day of my trouble, I will call to you, for you will answer me.” Zec. 13:9: “They will call on my name and I will answer them: I will say ’They are my people.’ And they will say ’The Lord is our God’.” We never get a busy signal. In the book of Numbers, when they cried out to the lord, He heard and sent an angel to them. 2 Samuel 22:7: “In my distress I called to the Lord. From His temple He heard my voice. My cry came to His ears.” And I’ve saved the best for last. Isaiah 58:9: “Then you will call, and the Lord will answer; you will cry for help, and He will say ‘Here Am I’.”

No comments:

The Big Cow - Easter 2024

 The Big Cow is all dressed up and ready for Easter. And he has brought along some of his friends as well!