Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Slip Slidin' Away


















God only knows
God makes his plans
The information's unavailable
To the mortal man
We're working our jobs
Collect our pay
Believe we're gliding down the highway
When in fact we're slip slidin' away - Paul Simon

How many of you love Simon & Garfunkel as much as I do? We have been doing a bit of slip slidin' lately. Seven states are under two feet of snow. Our state alone has scooped up one billion pounds of snow. It's striking on this satellite image. I think this is of Washington, D.C. It is snowing again as I write this, we could get another foot. So if you don't hear from me for awhile (sigh) you'll know we've lost power. We finally had to go out to the drug and grocery stores in between blizzards. It wasn't a pretty sight. You know by now how extremly clumsy I am. But did you know that fear overtakes me when I have to leave the house in bad weather? Many years ago , we left the house in bad weather, and I slipped and fell right outside the door. I spent the next six weeks in a cast up to my hip and a wheelchair. So I don't take this kind of weather lightly. I held on to both of Phil's hands tightly as he led me to the car. In order to do this, he had to walk backwards, so he slipped once. I screamed but he didn't. Once in the car, my adrenaline was flowing. I took the third picture from inside the car as we backed out of the driveway. The car you see is the neighbors. The big white lump with the rear view morror sticking out is our other car. The next photo is the bent over trees on each side of our front door. Not helping my nerves. Bump bump, we went backwards. I began to whine and yelp. Phil told me to go limp and lighten up. He's the calm, fearless one. I'm the opposite. Phil told me to shut my eyes. And miss a possible camera shot? No way! Notice the little snow "buds" on the bare tree branches? At one point on our short trip, he came at me with this: "You don't have any faith in my driving!!" I assured him that I had plenty of faith in his driving skills, but not in the other cars, or the unpredictable ice. Returning with our laxatives, pain medications, cholesterol lowering statins, and groceries, I give a prayer of thanks, eat sweets in any form I can find, and flop on the couch semi-comatose. God is good.

"When I said 'My foot is slipping', your love, O Lord, supported me. When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul." Psalm 94:18






8 comments:

Beverly said...

David and Sabrina are hoping to get home tomorrow, but I have my doubts.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

It's unbelievable, Ginny... Glad you made it home safe and sound... I cannot imagine that kind of snow.. In all of my life, I have never seen snow like this. Please take care. I do hope you do not lose your electricity...

May God Bless You.
Hugs,
Betsy

happily retired gal said...

What AMAZING wintry views ... hard to imagine that much snow and methinks I'd worry about falling too. Love that second to the last capture ... it looks out of place somehow. Hope you don't lose power and that you have amply supplies laid in. Take care ... stay warm and safe.
Hugs and blessings,

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Love your new comment form... PERFECT.
Hugs,
Betsy

MadSnapper said...

I would have done the same thing, yelp and whine, LOUD. I am also paranoid when things get iffy and scary and i would NEVER close my eyes, how would i know when to YELP or SCREAM? I am also afraid of the dark, so that means NO EYES CLOSED. love the post, sorry you are buried, glad you got home safely. love the photos of the cars,keep your eyes open and snap away and tell Phil I said it is ok if you scream.

George said...

I haven't seen that much snow since I was a kid growing up in northern Indiana. I'm glad you got out and back safely and hope you won't have to go out again until the roads are in better shape. I also hope you don't lose your electricity.

SquirrelQueen said...

Well I can't say that I haven't seen that much snow before since I have...and more. But that was in Anchorage and we were used to it and the city was well prepared.

Glad you got home safely and hopefully you don't have to go out in it again for awhile. The photos are beautiful. Stay warm and safe.

Unknown said...

Ginny, Kathleen also worries about the other drivers when we are out on roads like that.

I also hope your power does not go out ... I love your blogs. Do you have backup heat in case you have no electricity?

The Big Cow - Easter 2024

 The Big Cow is all dressed up and ready for Easter. And he has brought along some of his friends as well!