Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Snowflakes And Maltballs, Or When To Slow Down











We needed to grocery shop today, but a snowstorm has started. What to do? We left for the store mid afternoon, my goal being to get home before dusk, when the roads would freeze. Out front, I've never seen bigger snowflakes in my life!! I took a quick shot of across the street. Also a picture of Phil bending over to show the flakes on his shoulders. And a macro shot I took of just one enormous flake. Off we went, in a big hurry. When we got in the store, we each had our own list and split up to hurry things along. My first stop, giant malt balls. We love them, and these are very low in fat and enormous! You can get an idea from my picture. We were not going to be snowed in without them! Down the bulk candy aisle I sped, where there was an entire row of bins holding various candies that you scoop out and put into plastic bags. Whenever I hurry, bad things happen. I fill a bag full and put it in the child seat, where it dumps over. Dozens of giant malt balls all over the floor, rolling at high speed. Did I mention that the asile was full of kids and their parents? Everyone turned and all eyes were on me. Women started yelling at their husbands to pick them up before the kids got them, children were wildly running around. Of course I was the only one who stepped on them and smashed them with every step. That behind me, I rushed to the front to meet Phil . This is a store where you carry a handheld scanner and scan everything, then check yourself out. It's based on the honor system, with occasional random audits. As Phil was scanning our stuff, someone opened a door behind him, knocking him in the bottom and making him lose count! Who knows what he missed? It was then that they announced we were being audited...if you need to contact either of us, we'll be in grocery jail for the next few months. Here's someone who was told by angels to hurry. Lot. Two angels came to get Lot and his family out of the city before God destroyed it. Lot told his future son-in-laws, and they didn't believe him, thought it was all a big joke! They should have hurried and they didn't. They died. Lot didn't want to hurry, either, for various reasons. And these angels actually grabbed him and his wife and daughters and physically dragged them out! Such was the conviction of God to save them. Too bad Lot's wife chose to take one last lingering look at the evil they were leaving behind, makes you wonder where her heart really was. But God didn't need to wonder.

"When he hesitated, the men grabbed his hand and the hands of his wife and his two daughters and led them safely out of the city, for the Lord was merciful to them." Genesis 19:16








7 comments:

Beverly said...

Well, I hope you passed your audit ok. That never fails, does it.

You all are surely getting snow this year, aren't you. I'd love to see it.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh My Goodness, I have never been to a 'fancy dancy' grocery store like that. Ours down here don't have such gadgets. Hope you got through the audit with no problems.

Hope you got home also with no problems. I assume you did since you wrote this post after getting home! Did you get alot more snow???? We only had RAIN last night and early this morning.

Hope you got home with the rest of your malt balls. It's been years since I have had one of those. Bet they are good!!!!

Hugs,
Betsy

SquirrelQueen said...

Do I need to mail a cake to the jail (with a file inside of course)?

Hope you made it home before the roads froze.

SquirrelQueen said...

Oh, I almost forgot. The photo of the little honey bee, the camera lens was about an inch and a half from her. I'm not afraid of them, it's the yellow jackets and wasp that I don't like.

Stephanie V said...

Who posted your bail? Great story, Ginny...I laughed right out loud at the image of the kids running around trying to grab the candy. Of course, their moms would be trying to stop them because it was on the floor. What kid cares about that?

George said...

You must have passed your audit since you are not in grocery jail. It always takes me twice as long to do something when I hurry. But you did get home before the roads got worse, didn't you?

MadSnapper said...

still laughing out LOUD. this is so ME. once i dropped a 32 oz bottle of syrup on the walmart floor, who knew it could cover half the aisle. YUM on the less fat malt balls. i love them. great story and i can't beleive there is a store with an honor system left in the U S of A. thanks for the chuckle

The Big Cat

 Not to be outdone by that upstart The Big Cow and his friends, the Big Cat bought a new Easter bonnet! It is purrrfectly lovely! And while ...