Saturday, February 6, 2010

You CAN Take It With You




I want to thank all of you for praying for us and keeping us in your thoughts. The blizzard has finally stopped. Hundreds of thousands of people lost power, but we didn't. They are saying it will take a long time to get things back to normal. Now finally back to a post that's NOT about the weather! While reading the local paper the other day, I found out that you really CAN take it with you! For people who live a green lifestyle, nearly 300 funeral homes are now offering enviornmentaly friendly burials, including biodegradeable caskets, some even made of cardboard. It costs a lot less, as well. Almost half of people over 50 said they would consider this alternative. Here's a man who also took it with him. Lonny Holloway. He stated that he wanted to be buried in his 1973 Pontiac Catalina, with his hat on, in the driver's seat. He also wanted his guns in the car. The guns, I can understand. He said he didn't want them to get into the wrong hands. When he died at the age of ninety, that's exactly what happened. Hundreds came to his funeral at the Baptist church. His friends placed his guns in the trunk of the car. Then he drove off into the sunset, taking car and guns with him. You might say it was the road trip of his life. The first picture is of a "green" funeral, the second one is Mr. Holloway's burial. In Bible times, warriors were buried with their weapons. Great warriors had their swords placed under their heads. Sad that what some people want to be buried with is weapons. Is that what their life's statement is? What would you want to be buried with?


"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where theives break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19

6 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Glad you are okay, Ginny... It was scary I'm sure.. Just stay IN and stay SAFE for a few days!!!

I love the idea of a 'green' funeral. I have always thought that funerals were WAY too expensive... Why would we want to be buried in an expensive coffin--that is going into the ground????

Personally George and I are going to be cremated --with our ashes strewn over a waterfall somewhere. I want a memorial service --hopefully outside somewhere --with loads of happy words, scripture and music. I want people to 'celebrate' my life rather than mourn over it...

Great post.... Funny about the man being buried in his car...

Hugs,
Betsy

SquirrelQueen said...

I'm glad to hear the snow has stopped, hopefully things will get back to normal soon. I really feel for all those folks without power.

I feel pretty much the same as Betsy about funerals, way too expensive. My husband and I both plan on being cremated and our ashes will be strewn over the Pacific ocean.

I understand the warriors and their weapons but these days being buried with the guns really is a sad statement.

Judy

Stephanie V said...

Here you are safe and I hope warm.
Green funerals...the greenest I can imagine is cremation which is certainly our plan. Even so, you can spend an awful lot of money on breakaway vases and special urns. I guess green also means inexpensive to me.
Buried with your guns? Too scary for me. What if someone decided to dig them up? Even owning a gun is trouble -I wish no one had them. But then, I wish the world were a kinder place, too.

George said...

I found both of these stories interesting. While I like the idea of a green funeral, I find wanting to be buried in a car just a little extreme.
I'm glad you survived the blizzard without losing electricity.

happily retired gal said...

Glad you've survived the blizzard unscathed and are in good spirits. Your 'funeral' story is pretty amazing to me ... hard to fathom what possesses some folks. I'm with Betsy and Squirrel Queen regarding MY remains.
Hugs and blessings,

MadSnapper said...

I missed this yesterday, took the day off. people are plain crazy and this proves it. bob and I are with Squirrel queen, Happily retired and Betsy with the cremation thing.

The Big Cat

 Not to be outdone by that upstart The Big Cow and his friends, the Big Cat bought a new Easter bonnet! It is purrrfectly lovely! And while ...