Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Stirring A Rainbow

 I bet you have seen these utensils in a store somewhere. They come in all different color schemes. I saw these at Buckee's. I decided to do a bit of research on them.



These are Baltique utensils. No two patterns are ever alike!

They’re made from laminated Pakka wood, where thin layers of dyed birch are pressed together to form those rings and stripes. Each piece shows its own pattern depending on how the block was cut.

They’re functional art — durable, water and heat ‑resistant, and safe for cooking.





If I had any of these, I would be afraid to use them or get food on them. They are just too pretty for their intended use.


“Colors carved from wind and flame.”


18 comments:

Ann said...

They are very pretty. I thought they were plastic at first. I agree I wouldn't want to use them and get food on them. either.

Martha Jane Orlando said...

I've never seen anything like these, Ginny. I think I would hesitate to use them for cooking, too. Beautiful!

Mari said...

They really are beautiful! As the others said, they look too pretty to use.

Barbara said...

I agree. I would just want to display then and not use them.

DeniseinVA said...

This is fascinating Ginny, thanks for sharing them and doing the research. Another lovely quote too.

Carla from The River said...

I would not have guessed they were made out of wood.

photowannabe said...

Thanks for your research to explain what these actually are. I never would have thought they were wood. I wonder if they would hold up very well. Such vibrant colors.
Sue

Jenny the Pirate said...

Ugh I adore these. Several years ago I bought each of my girls one of the measuring spoons (teaspoon on one end, tablespoon on the other). I have one too and I love using it. They are just so pretty! I got them at Bucc-ee's too! I really should buy myself more of the pieces because they fascinate me! xoxo 🏴‍☠️

Shug said...

these would make for some fun cooking... They are very unique and I love the colors..

CheerfulMonk said...

Thank you for telling us! Our Natural Grocers carries them.

Ruby Rose and the Big Little Angels 3 said...

You can find rainbows in many spots, but you'll never find the pot of gold.

roentare said...

These almost look too artistic to actually use them

Jeanette said...

I like those!

HappyK said...

I've never seen them before. Very colorful.

Chatty Crone said...

I love those - I would use them - but they are probably expensive!

Red Rose Alley said...

I think I would worry that the colors would seep into the food I was preparing. They're very cool though, and look like the 60's. Have a good rest of the week, Ginny.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

I have never seen them before.

Carol said...

Very pretty and I would find it hard to use them too

Trees Full Of Sunlight

 I've grown quite tired of waiting for the trees to turn colors this fall. I do think the leaves are turning brown and dying before they...