Monday, September 7, 2026

The Blackness

 At the end of our block, we spotted a few Black Vultures! They were eating something dead on the road. They have been circling around our area for a few years now. Did you know that their pee kills bacteria? So they do not get sick from standing in critters that have been dead for a long time.



They are actually calm, social, and affectionate!



“A black vulture is a shadow with a heartbeat.”


16 comments:

Ann said...

Interesting facts about them. I didn't know. I've always thought they were rather ugly but they look so graceful when they are circling overhead.

Barbara said...

That is very interesting about Vultures. I agree - they are rather ugly when you see them on the ground.

Mari said...

Very interesting! They are not the most attractive birds, but they have a purpose.

Martha Jane Orlando said...

That's a fascinating fact that I'd never heard before, Ginny. Isn't it amazing how every creature has a specific purpose and niche to fill? Thanks for sharing!

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, so interesting, Ginny. Have never seen a black vulture before. A few years ago, I noticed some vultures across the street in my neighbor's yard. I think they were feeding on something as well. They eventually flew off. They are not attractive birds at all, so it's good to know they are calm, social, and affectionate. Isn't that something about their urine?

Carla from The River said...

Thank you Ginny, this was interesting for me. I do enjoy learning about all things.
xo

photowannabe said...

I am thankful for these rather ugly birds. They are such wonderful scavengers and do their job to perfection.
Great photos so up close and personal..Interesting that they are affectionate ... I guess I don't really care to find that out myself.
(:0)
Sue

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

What an interesting posting about vultures. I never knew all those facts.

Chatty Crone said...

Well, interesting - still don't think I would want to eat after them - killer bacteria or not! lol

DeniseinVA said...

I did not know that. They are amazing birds and are nature's clean-up crew. They prevent diseases from spreading so I've heard.

HappyK said...

Facts about them that I did not know!!

CheerfulMonk said...

Thank you! I didn't know that!

Ida said...

I've never seen or heard of a Black Vulture. They are pretty cool looking.

Jeanette said...

Interesting fact about vultures. We see a few turkey vultures around here.

Anonymous said...

I'm talking to My iPad. So far so good. They have an accessibility thing that says you can turn on voice access to play games. I decided to try to talk so this is a test and I love this post I love all critters that are ugly and they sure are ugly but they are God's garbage guys and we will be in trouble without them they clean up our streets and roads and yards. Now let's see if this will let me publish

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Learned something new today. I never knew birds could pee.

Twinkling Lights & Haunted Nights

 Here are a few of the non-scary Halloween lights around our neighborhood. So many ghosts peeking out of the window at us. This house has a ...