Thursday, April 29, 2010

Only God Can Make A Tree


Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them.Bill Vaughan


We can learn a lot from trees: they're always grounded, but never stop reaching heavenward.Everett Mamor


A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.Greek Proverb


I think that I shall never see
A billboard lovely as a tree
Perhaps, unless the billboards fall,
I'll never see a tree at all.
Ogden Nash



On this Friday, we celebrate Arbor Day. So rather than planting a tree, I will tell you about one that was cut down on January 19. This tree in Maine was so special that he had a name, Herbie. Herbie was the tallest American Elm tree in New England, with a diameter of over six feet. He was well over two hundred years old. Herbie survived fourteen bouts of Dutch Elm Disease, but this last one proved fatal. I took this picture from the paper, where it shows a worker removing sawdust from the freshly cut tree stump. Most of his remains will go to artisans who will make furniture and cutting boards. Several cuttings will be displayed in the town hall, state arboretum, and other places. But the big deal is that scientists from several different places will be examining Herbie's trunk to learn things from it. 1816 was called The Year Without Summer, because volcanic activity from halfway around the world made for a very cold summer in New England. There was frost in every month of the summer. You can tell the weather during the years by looking at the rings in a tree trunk, so these scientists are very interested in what the 1816 ring will show. You can tell many things from a tree trunk, it's like a living history book. And the scientists who are experts at interpreting this are called dendroclimatologists (deciphering the climate through the years) and dendrochronologists (determining the age of the tree) Who knew?



"And the Lord God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground-trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food." Genesis 2:9

10 comments:

Stephanie V said...

Nice that trees can tell us their story. It's our story, too, isn't it?

My sticky blossom bits are the outer coverings of the flower so I don't think they'd ever grow. But it's not a crazy idea. It would be fun to have so many of those pretty trees.

Glenda said...

Love the Nash quote! Strong, deeply rooted trees remind me that our roots need to grow deep spiritually!

You always have interesting info to share with us!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Very nice post, Ginny.... I love those quotes.. The Everett Mamor one is really good.

That's so sad about the Elm Tree. I would cry --seeing that tree come down. Glad some people can make use of some of its parts though---to keep its memory alive.

I love trees---and that is why we live in the woods. Our yard has over 50 big shade trees in it.... That makes it hard in Autumn---since we rake up leaves forever it seems!!!! BUT--I love the trees.

I had read that they do get all kinds of great information from the tree trunks and their rings...

Thanks for the great info.... Happy Arbor Day!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

Beverly said...

That is certainly what I have been thinking about while being in Savannah and Charleston and St. Simon's Island.

From the Kitchen said...

Beautiful photograph! If a tree has to be cut down, I'm happy when it can serve some further use. Your postings always give me some useful insight into many areas. I was telling my husband about the Canada geese yesterday.

Dean and DeLuca and Fox and Obel are both very upscale grocery stores with great breads, cheeses and a variety of "needful" foods. The average person doesn't do their weekly shopping in one. Fox and Obel is just in Chicago--in fact, only one store. We pretty much just buy bread there. It's the best and freezes well.

Yes, "Kiss Me Kate" was the movie and it was about the cast of "Taming of the Shrew" performing the play.

Have a good day!

Best,
Bonnie

RoeH said...

One of my favorite places to go is the Redwoods in California. You feel like an ant walking around those magnificent trees. It feels very sacred being there.

MadSnapper said...

and the Lord God made the beautiful tree in your header and made cameras for all of us to see it to. love the header tree. goregous. the tree story is sad, I do so dislike it when an old tree dies. when i think of all the trees florida bulldozed in the past 50 years it makes me very sad. they have finally started to build around and under them, but they had raped the land and it will take more than a life time to replace them.

Together We Save said...

I love trees... the colors in the spring and fall will take your breath away.

Oh and I visited those past posts you mentioned.... that is amazing to see them playing softball. I can't wait to show my girls. The Amish here are very conserative, won't even allow the women to speak in public unless spoken to. I guess I thought that is just how the whole religion was... shows just how little I know.

SquirrelQueen said...

It is always so sad to see an old tree die, it is like losing a friend. But it is good to know Herbie's story will be told and pieces of him will be displayed and seen by many generations.

Kilauea Poetry said...

Great post Ginny. Trees do tell a story with those rings! My brother cut trees here as a tree trimmer back in the mid to late 80's. He also made beautiful tables. I love old trees and trees are so significant as far as scripture- being symbolic or often representing man.
Enjoyed this with the quotes-

The Big Cow - Easter 2024

 The Big Cow is all dressed up and ready for Easter. And he has brought along some of his friends as well!