Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Shall We Tie One On?









Beware the deadly necktie!! This was the title of the story I read, taken from the Wall Street Journal, about the growing controversy over doctors wearing neckties. Since ties are rarely cleaned and hang right at a patients sneeze and cough level, they are supposed to be loaded with bacteria and bad germs. Who knew? Do you care if your doctor wears a tie? In more tie news, I was in the local drugstore the other day, at the photo developing counter, and snapped these pictures for you. Besides having your photograph on mugs and calendars, you can now have it on a necktie! Who knew? In times past, my husband's family would have not been pleased with any of this, because the Amish and Old Order Mennonites do not wear neckties. They are considered too flashy and worldly. Men's suits were too stylish, as well. They wore what was called a "plain suit"" with no lapels, which were considered frivolous and unnecessary. My husband wore one of these plain suits for many years until he was somewhere in his early 20's. Too bad I can't find a picture of him wearing one. But you can see what they look like from these family pictures. Here are my husband's parents with three of their children, Phil standing on the right striking a pose. The other picture is my mother-in-law with all her siblings and her father. Plenty of plain suits. They remind me of the Nehru jackets that were so popular with the teenagers in the 1960's. They were trying to be stylish, and the Mennonites and Amish were trying not to be. Go figure.


"Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For everything in the world-the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does-comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and it's desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever."
1 John 2:15,17

13 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Cute title and post, Ginny.... I had never thought about that --when thinking of doctors wearing ties..... Guess those ties are full of germs!!!! Oh Well!!!

Love seeing old pictures of Phil's family.... Life was very different for him, wasn't it? I still say that we all could learn alot from the Mennonites and Amish.

Don't think I'd want my picture on George's tie.... (Don't think he'd want it there either!!! ha)
Hugs,
Betsy

Glenda said...

I love your interesting stories about the Mennonites and your husband's family. And I enjoy seeing old pictures; you can really learn a lot about fashion (or lack of it) in the past!

The Scripture you chose is relevant now and always will be!

Kilauea Poetry said...

Ah..how funny about the germs and photos on ties- almost absurd? Maybe not the germs? Hey, who am I..maybe seeing your dog on a tie isn't a bad idea? ( Lol)The old family pictures are really neat Ginny! I enjoyed this. I look back on many old family photos where they didn't smile either way back? Anyway..I must say your header is really beautiful! Hope you have a wonderful day-

Kilauea Poetry said...

Btw- I too think the scripture you chose is perfect as well..

RoeH said...

I never thought about it either but hey....sounds sensible to me. Off with the ties, docs. :)

Stephanie V said...

Yeah, those do look like the 60's suits.
I certainly don't care if any man wears a tie. I think it means something more than just a fashion statement, though. Kind of stands for respectability and conformity. I think the message tie-wearing is supposed to send is: "You can trust me."
Love those photo ties.

Dawning Inspiration said...

Most of my doctors don't wear ties... and it wouldn't bother me if the ones that did - stop!

Thanks again for weighing in on the quote from my post! It was/is much appreciated!

DawnTreader said...

I can't remember if I ever saw a doctor wearing a tie? I think nowadays in contact with patients doctors like other hospital staff are not even supposed to wear long sleeves. And my GP is a woman, she definitely does not wear ties...

Together We Save said...

Oh wow your husband was amish? We have an amish community where we live. They fasinate me!

MadSnapper said...

My doctor wears no tie, because she is a SHE. and i can't remember if our dotor before her wore one or not. i think they should not now that i have read this post. ties are not as IN as they were once except for those poor announcers on TV that have to wear them even for sports events. i like casual better and save ties for formal dinners, of which I never attend.

MadSnapper said...

I don't THINK i mentioned your header yesterday, i do so love the center of that flower, it is just goregous. hope you are feeling better

SquirrelQueen said...

The first thing I thought of when I saw the 'plain suits' was the Nehru jackets. I think it would be better for male doctors not to wear ties at all when working. It makes them seem cold and distant, go for the polo shirts guys.

Great photos Ginny, I love old B/W family pictures.

George said...

The "plain suit" is very similar to the "Mao jacket" almost all the men wore when I made my first trip to China.
Since we have a woman doctor I don't have to worry about doctor's neckties.

The Big Cow - Easter 2024

 The Big Cow is all dressed up and ready for Easter. And he has brought along some of his friends as well!