Friday, June 23, 2023

The Magnolia

 The only blogger to get the exact details of my mystery photo right was Happy One at Life Is Good. It was a Magnolia tree seed pod. We have many Magnolias around here, and they have just finished blooming. The trees are huge, taller than some houses!


The blooms are as big as dinner plates.


And the leaves are glorious; thick, shiny, and huge, A different color on each side.


Interesting and large seed pods, too.

Magnolia trees have been on earth for many millions of years. They symbolize strength, longevity, and purity.

According to a Japanese legend, it is advisable not to sleep or stay too long under a blooming magnolia tree, since the intense perfume of its flowers could stun or even kill.



11 comments:

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

The blossoms are beautiful. Not seen any in Oregon or in our area.

CheerfulMonk said...

The blossoms are gorgeous! Great posts about it. ❤️

MadSnapper said...

with the whole view I would have known, it did look familar but could not guess it from macro view. we have one 2 houses over accross the street, but down here they don't get that big. they grow but not like the one in your photo. I don't think it has a smell, the one here, might be a different type. but the blooms are just like this one

Ann said...

What beautiful blossoms that tree gets. Although I must say the seed pods are pretty also. I was way off on my guess.

Mari said...

As you know we were recently traveling in the south and I fell in love with these trees. I kept telling my husband how I would love to have one, but unfortunately, they don't grow in Michigan.
Thanks for this fun guessing game!

photowannabe said...

Magnolias are so gorgeous, huge and waxy looking. I think its amazing that their seed pods are so alien to the flower itself. Really pretty.
Sue

happyone said...

I am surprised I was the only one!!
Beautiful trees and pods too.

Linda said...

I love magnolias! I wanted to plant one here back in 1970 and my then husband said no - they are slow growers! 57 years later I am still in this house and I would have had a good sized tree by now!

Chatty Crone said...

I didn't know it was dangerous to stay under a Magnola tree. I love them though and the smell.

DeniseinVA said...

I didn’t see the photo you mentioned yet. I am working backwards :). That’s a magnificent magnolia tree. The blooms are stunning.

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, isn't that something? I LOVE the magnolia tree and their HUGE blooms. Their petals are milky white, and their scent is wonderful. The inside of the flower is so interesting and lovely as well. There used to be a big magnolia tree at the house I used to live at. I've never heard of the legend, wonder if that's true. ; )

Happy Summer Ginny!

~Sheri

Sunday Sunset - The Birds

  “…so that from  the  rising  of   the   sun  to  the  place  of  its  setting  people may know  the re is none besides me. I am  the   Lor...