Thursday, May 9, 2024

Bread & Quackers

 We had some visitors yesterday. Three Mallards! Two males and a female. They came into our yard hoping to be fed, and I ran in the house to get something for them. They are very tame, as they are likely used to people feeding them.



The little female would come closer...


And closer.


The males were quite handsome.




His green head shone in the sun.



And he had the prettiest tail.


The female had a nice touch of blue.


Here are some amazing facts I found about ducks.

Ducklings Communicate Before Hatching

Ducklings, like other waterfowl, learn to communicate with each other in the eggs and try to hatch at the same time.

Ducks Have Great Eyes

Ducks can move each eye independently and they store information on the opposite sides of their brain.

Ducks Can Sleep with One Eye Open

Ducks can sleep with one eye open to watch for predators.

 


13 comments:

CheerfulMonk said...

That's exciting! Thank you for taking so many pictures.

Ann said...

How fun to have them visit your yard. Of course here they would set Gibbs off in an endless session of barking.
Very interesting facts about ducks. I didn't know any of that. The thing about their eyes moving independently and storing info on opposite sides of the brain is rather cool.

Mari said...

They are such pretty duck! I didn't know any of those facts, so interesting!

MadSnapper said...

we love to watch these ducks. at the YMCA each year they have 2 that come and hatch their eggs, we used to watch them sit there for weeks and Bob said this week they had 3 hatched and they took photos. of course he did not. Bread is bad for ducks and birds, so don't feed them bread. yours are beautiful, of course the male is most handsome but I think the female is beautiful to...

Rose said...

Those are great shots...and very interesting facts!

George said...

I have a feeling that your new friends will be back.

Debby said...

I didn’t know any of that - interesting. The ducks are pretty.

Jeanette said...

They are so pretty! I wish I could get so close to the ducks that land by us but as soon as we go outside, they fly away! We have a duck nest by work that I will blog about soon.

photowannabe said...

Fascinating tidbits of knowledge today Ginny. Things I sure didn't know about. Good photos too.
Sue

DawnTreader said...

We have lots of mallards in the river all year round, and people often feed them in the park. I've heard - like Sandra says - that bread is not actually good for them though, so I don't... I like watching them though, and especially when they have young ones i tow.

Lowcarb team member said...

Lovely photographs of the ducks.
Thanks too for the additional information.

Wishing you a happy weekend.

All the best Jan

DeniseinVA said...

What fun! You captured them beautifully.

Chatty Crone said...

I didn't know any of those facts - COOL!
And the ducks came into your yard - that is very cool too!
Happy Mother's Day.

Sunday Sunset

 This is a Lego sunflower that Dara made for me. So what does this have to do with a sunset? This edit I made from it reminds me of a fiery ...