Sunday, December 6, 2009

Am I Losing My Marbles?




The answer to yesterday's mystery contraption is: an old fashioned marble shooter. You put the marbles in the hollowed out slot part. I still can't figure out how to wrap the rubber bands around the pegs and shoot marbles with it. My husband can do it, though. It's one of those things that turned out not to be as much fun as it seemed. The two little girls in our life just love playing with marbles. The first picture is the marbles they play with. The second one is my marbles. Each is hand painted, one of a kind. There is a story about who painted them and where, but I can't remember! A senior moment, for sure. I need to return to the store and ask the lady. I keep the marbles in my jewelry box. When I get too forgetful, I just go to my jewlery box and look for them. And when I see them, I am reasurred that I have not lost my marbles, after all. So as long as I keep these, I am assured of being of sound mind! Marbles are more then 3,000 years old! They have even been found in the pyramid tombs of ancient Egyptian kings. Will the Pharoah mummies shoot marbles in the afterlife? A mental picture to both chuckle and shudder at. I have read that the allure of marbles is timeless and universal, spanning culture, language, generation, and class.
"Once again, men and women of ripe old age will sit in the streets of Jerusalem...The city streets will be filled with boys and girls playing there." Zec. 8:4

3 comments:

Beverly said...

When I looked at it last night, I thought it resembled a slingshot or something like that. I guess the use is similar.

MadSnapper said...

so it is a kind of a sling shot, a marble shooter, i would never have guessed that because i never heard of it before. i did not know they were that old, that is a little older than ME

SquirrelQueen said...

I would never have come up with that, I didn't know there was such a thing. Those hand painted marbles are beautiful, what a rare treasure.

I was over last night and Blogger kicked me off, then I couldn't get back. Looks like it's going to behave today.

Judy

Virginia Bluebells

 The Virginia Bluebells are blooming now. They are so pretty and delicate. Here are some a few blocks away. Here are some Bluebell tattoos I...