Friday, July 17, 2026

Soft As Sorrow

 Today was a red alert weather day. Because the air is not healthy to breathe. The smoke from Canadian wildfires has drifted down into our valley. Here is what we saw.



If the air is so unhealthy for us, I cannot imagine toe poor people in Canada!


It is a dreamy mist, but the beauty is deceptive.


“A silver haze drifts through the trees, soft as sorrow, strange as magic.”


14 comments:

MadSnapper n Beau said...

this same thing is happening all over the planet, as is the drought. I did not know that Rome is so hot the shell fish are cooking in the dry dirt that is a canal the dried up and they have fires to. saw it this morning. If its this far south I can imagine what they are doing closer to it.

Ann said...

That's pretty much what it looked like here too. I was thinking the same thing about how unhealthy it is for us then how bad it must be for those right there.

Mari said...

You're right - it does look pretty. Yes, I wonder how bad it is for those in Canada too.

Martha Jane Orlando said...

I'm surprised that it's come this far south, Ginny. Y'all stay safe and pray for our Canadian neighbors, too.

DawnTreader said...

I saw/heard about this on the TV news here in Sweden, I think it was photos from New York they were showing here

🌺 Debby/From My Shasta Home said...

It makes for mysterious photos but you're right. It's deceptive. The smoke can damage your lungs. When we moved here there were so many fires, smoke thatv10 years,later I developed a cough and a rattling in my chest. They found that I had scarring on my lungs. Now I have to stay out of it. Fortunately, we haven't had many fires this year. So I really feel for you all. Wear a good mask when outside, otherwise stay inside. And even if it gets cooler, don't open your windows. Oh and change the filters on your AC a little more often.
Yeah constant smoke is not good for the lungs.

photowannabe said...

Its such a tragic situation. The air is awful. We had that here in California 5 years ago from the devastating wildfires. You could taste the air and everything was brown colored.
Sue

HappyK said...

It does look pretty bad. Not nearly as bad here and today we had lots of rain to clear things up.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Wow, those pictures really capture the haze. I can almost smell the smoke just looking at them.

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh no, I don't like when we get the smoky hazy days from the fires. I'm sorry you're experiencing this, Ginny. I always tend to stay inside during times like this. I hope the fires are controlled soon. Have a peaceful weekend.

Chatty Crone said...

I do have a blogger in Canada, and it is bad. Hope you are okay.

CheerfulMonk said...

That’s horrible! I bought an air purifier in case of smoke from fires down here, but I haven’t needed it yet. Good luck!

DeniseinVA said...

That is awful and I too wonder about people up north and how they are coping. There was some we picked up on the wind but it wasn't like this. We have been staying indoors because of the heat. Take good care of yourselves out there. Hope you and Phil don't have to go to any appointments.

Jeanette said...

It was like that here too! I remember the last few years getting smoke from the Canadian wildfires but I don't remember it being so stinky!

Hidden

 I would like to know WHY some people grow gorgeous plants, and then hide them away from view!! Like this lovely Crepe Myrtle is hidden in o...