Wednesday, November 9, 2011
Jack O'Lanterns Of A Different Kind
Driving through the neighborhood, I spotted these Jack O'Lantern mushrooms. They are such a brilliant orange that I could see them half a block away. I suspected that they are poisonous, and I was right. Nature often uses very bright colors as a warning sign. Lots of people pick these mushrooms and eat them because they confuse them with chanterelles, which are a gourmet treat. They will not kill you, but they will make people so sick that they usually end up in the hospital. Now to why they are called Jack O'Lanterns. It is not just their color. The gills glow bright green in the dark! They contain a luminescent chemical that makes a bright green glow. So these Jack O'Lanterns even have their own light inside! Here's someone who people were afraid of because he glowed, but it was not from a chemical.
"When Moses came down from Mt. Sinai carrying the two Tablets of The Testimony, he didn't know that the skin of his face glowed because he had been speaking with God. Aaron and all the Israelites saw Moses, saw his radiant face, and held back, afraid to get close to him."