Saturday, September 16, 2023

Swiftly

This evening when we went up on the hill to snap the sunset, it was pretty. But for me, the real star of the show was the Chimney Swifts. We watched many pf them swirling in the air and doing acrobatics to eat flying insects. Then they all flew into the chimney for the night. It was an awesome sight!




We stayed and watched the very last one go inside.


In the twilight, the mountains were a deep blue.


And on the way home, the geese flew over! But since they weren't honking like usual, I had no warning. So I only got a few of the flock.


Chimney swifts are always in flight except when they are nesting and roosting overnight. They are so adapted to flight that they eat and drink and even bathe while flying.  Chimney swift numbers are now falling for a very specific reason: They don’t make chimneys like they used to.

Today, chimneys are designed to be more narrow, and many are capped. This means the swifts have lost access to many readily accessible nesting locations.

 


9 comments:

Ann said...

Interesting facts about the chimney swifts. That's rather sad that they don't have the access to chimneys like they used to. Hopefully someone will find a solution for them .

Sandi said...

I would have thought those were bats.

Mari said...

More beautiful photos! And I learned a lot about chimney swifts!

happyone said...

I didn't any of those facts about chimney swifts!!
Beautiful sky.

Shug said...

Interesting and I learned something here. We have always called the chimney sweeps. I looked them up and the name is chimney swifts.....just everyone in our area calls them Sweeps.

CheerfulMonk said...

That's sad that their habit is going away. That is an awesome sight.

DeniseinVA said...

Beautifully captured Ginny!

Red Rose Alley said...

I have never heard of chimney swifts, Ginny. I wouldn't want them flying in my chimney through the night. Interesting to read about them. The geese photo is pretty, and I love that mysterious photo of the blue mountains. It's nice that you drive up the hill and see the sunset every Sunday. I used to do that in my old town to see the sunrise. : )

~Sheri

Jenny the Pirate said...

Fascinating! I knew nothing about that. Great pics as usual, Ginny. xoxo

Thoughts After Parking

 1. The elevator - After parking and entering the hospital, we saw the elevator in the middle of the lobby. It is right in the center, surr...