Tuesday, January 16, 2024

National Cesarean Day

 O.K., I am three days late. But did you know that January 14th is National Cesarean Section Day? I didn't, till I saw it on the news, then researched it. All my photos are from T.V. and the web.


The first successful cesarean operation in America was performed 230 years ago. Dr. Jessee Bennett operated on his own wife, Elizabeth, in a log cabin in Virginia on Jan. 14. 1794.

Desperate to save her child, Elizabeth begged her husband to perform the Caesarian section. Dr. Bennett had to choose between attempting to save only his wife, or attempting to save them both through a procedure no one had successfully completed, a cesarean operation.


He assembled a crude operating table from two boards supported by barrels. Dr. Bennett gave his wife laudanum to make her sleepy and had two slaves support her on the table while Elizabeth's sister held a tallow candle to light the makeshift operating table.


Dr. Bennett’s wife Elizabeth and the baby, his daughter Maria, both lived to old age.

Dr. Bennett refused to publicize the details of the surgery during his life. He said other doctors would never believe that a woman could survive this hazardous operation, done in the backwoods of Virginia, and he was "damned if he'd give them a chance to call him a liar."


“I told my doctor I broke my leg in two places. He told me to quit going to those places.”

Henny Youngman 


17 comments:

CheerfulMonk said...

I didn't know that! I don't blame him for not advertising it.

Susan Kane said...

Wow. Waht a history. My first born had to be delivered by C-seation in 1975. My two other chidren were as well. On boards resting on barrels? Man.

DeniseinVA said...

This is amazing, especially so for the time when very little medical equipment hadn’t even been invented yet. Thank you for sharing the history Ginny. I will have to look up where Edom is. I wonder if he ever performed this surgery on anyone else, and if so how many? Thank you for the smile at the end, it was a welcome light relief after such a serious topic.

Reanaclaire said...

Thanks for the info, Ginny, I cannot imagine the pain during those days. I had my three kids born through the C-section, I should be very thankful for the modern tech during my time.

ashok said...

Good information

roentare said...

Such an interesting story to read.

Ann said...

I had no idea there was such a day. How interesting.

MadSnapper said...

wow, you found something I have never heard before. I am so glad I did not live back then. I can't even imagine this, without anesthesia.really interesting story. I don't blame him at all, i would not have told anyone either.

Mari said...

Wow - that is so interesting! I can't imagine how scary that was. JUst think how many lives have been saved since then.

Jeanette said...

Interesting! I can't imagine!

photowannabe said...

Wow, that's sure not one of the Days that gets attention.
I can't even imagine doing that in such primitive conditions.
Fascinating information.
Thanks Ginny
Sue

happyone said...

There is a national day for everything!!!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

A bit harrowing to read about, but glad to read that both the wife and daughter survived. Dr Bennett was obviously very skilled or very lucky or a bit of both?

Shug said...

Interesting...I learned something here today. My youngest daughter (she is so small) had two C-sections.
I am sure there are a lot of babies and moms whose lives have been saved through the C-section process. I love the quote! Made me laugh...

Great-Granny Grandma said...

I've never heard of that day before.
What an amazing story.

Red Rose Alley said...

That's a remarkable story, Ginny. Thanks for sharing. Pioneer times, they sure had some difficult situations to deal with. That's why I appreciate that era and the people so much.

~Sheri

a spirit of simplicity said...

I'm glad I live in these times!

Thoughts After Parking

 1. The elevator - After parking and entering the hospital, we saw the elevator in the middle of the lobby. It is right in the center, surr...