Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Clothesline Animals

 Aren't these cute and imaginative? A friend posted them on Facebook today. They were created by Helga Stentzel.




The Clothes Line

by Marilyn K. Walker

 

A clothes line was a news forecast,
to neighbors passing by.
There were no secrets you could keep,
when clothes were hung to dry.

It also was a friendly link,
for neighbours always knew,
If company had stopped on by,
to spend a night or two.

For then you'd see the fancy sheets
and towels upon the line;
You'd see the company tablecloths,
with intricate design.

The line announced a baby's birth,
to folks who lived inside,
As brand new infant clothes,
were hung so carefully with pride.

The ages of the children,
could so readily be known
By watching how the sizes changed,
you'd know how much they'd grown.

It also told when illness struck,
as extra sheets were hung;
Then night-clothes, and a bathrobe too,
haphazardly were strung.

It said "Gone on vacation now",
when lines hung limp and bare.
It told "We're back!" when full lines sagged,
with not an inch to spare.

 
I really miss that way of life;
it was a friendly sign,
When neighbors knew each other best,
by what was on the line.


22 comments:

My Tata's Cottage said...

I LOVE the photos, how creative. I also love the poem, did you write it? I Love my clothesline. I would never live in an HOA area and follow their dumb rules. I love hanging the sheets out in the good weather. They smell the best being outdoors. Thank you for sharing and enjoy what is left of this week.

Nancy Chan said...

Very creative. All about the poem is so true. Clothes hung on clothesline smell better too.

The Feminine Energy said...

I dunno.... that horse one gave me the willies, Ginny. Looks like a skinned horse hanging there. Ewwwwwww!! *haha* The poem is lovely!! ~Andrea xoxo

Ann said...

Those are so creative. I love them.
I've read that poem before. It's so true. I remember the days of clothes hanging out on the line.

Hootin Anni said...

Those days of yore we're much better...simpler!! Great images & oh so clever.

MadSnapper said...

i love the creative clothing art. she has vision for sure. i think the cow is my favorite, but love them all. have not read the poem, and it really is good and true. that said, i never want to go back to clotheslines. we don't need them now because everyone airs their lives on social media...

Chatty Crone said...

I just love, love, love that - both the poem and the pictures! Thanks.

Rose said...

They are so cool...and I love that poem.

Sue said...

I just love the post, and that poem is so true Ginny! I still hang clothes outside especially sheets they smell so fresh, when I go to bed, I just snuff and sniff! `Lol~ have a great day!
Blessings,
Sue

Inger said...

I love a creative mind. This is just terrific.

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Adorable pictures and poem!!!!!!!

Shadows mutter,
mist replies;
darkness purrs
as midnight sighs.
~Rusty Fischer
πŸŽƒπŸ‘»πŸŽƒπŸ‘»πŸŽƒπŸ‘»πŸŽƒπŸ‘»πŸŽƒπŸ‘»πŸŽƒπŸ‘»πŸŽƒ

photowannabe said...

Oh my what an amazing poem!!
It's right on for sure.
I saw those clothes animals on line too. So clever..thanks for sharing.
Sue

Linda said...

I can always count on seeing a clever post here!!!

CheerfulMonk said...

Thank you! You warmed my heart and made me smile!

Ruth Hiebert said...

I have spent many years hanging clothes on a line, but have never taken the time to make animals with them. I always did enjoy hanging clothes, especially all those white diapers.

Mari said...

Wow - she is very creative! I really enjoyed them.

Jeanette said...

I have never seen cloths line animals before! Very clever and creative!

Red Rose Alley said...

Those clothesline animals are something else! Oh, this poem reminds me
of a picture that Jess gave me of Francesca's party. It is some princess dresses hanging up on the clothesline. I remember the clothesline well.
Like the poem says, "I really miss that way of life".....me too!

~Sheri

Jenny the Pirate said...

This is fantastic. I LOVE the fabric animals. So clever! xoxo

Carol said...

Such a neat poem and very true words. I also love the animals.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

I recently posted those pictures on my Facebook too (they came up as a memory), but am not familiar with the poem.
Love the poem.

Shannon Mackle said...

My relationship has been restored,


My Ex-boyfriend is back after he broke up with me.


I am the happiest lady on earth,


Never too late to fix your broken heart.


You can still get your lover back...


Fix broken relationship/marriage...


Thanks Robinsonbuckler11@gmail.com....

Wild Violets

 The wild Violets are growing in yards everywhere now! They are so sweet. We have quite a few in our yard, and I hate for them to be mowed d...