Friday, October 1, 2021

Spreading His Wings

 The two Cormorants in our area will often spread their wings wide open for quite awhile. This is because Cormorants have less preen oil than other birds, and their feathers are not very waterproof. After only a few minutes in the water, they can can get soaked, instead of shedding water like a duck.  I was glad to be able to capture this behaviour. 



The blurry white lines you may notice are because I was snapping through a chain link fence.



But those who wait upon God get fresh strength. They spread their wings and soar like eagles, They run and don’t get tired, they walk and don’t lag behind.

Isaiah 40


Many of you were right about the object in my last post. It is an old tractor!







15 comments:

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Well captured Ginny. Have a great weekend and week ahead

Hootin Anni said...

That bible passage is perfect Ginny. And really enjoyed your cormorants today!!

Ann said...

Wonderful photos. My favorite is the second one down. You can really see the feathers in that one.

Inger said...

Great pictures through a chainlink fence. I didn't know about this behavior and a waterbird needing to do it. Seems a bit unfair.

Mari said...

Such amazing birds! Interesting information too.

MadSnapper said...

Isaish is my favorie old testament book and the 40 the chapters are most favored and 40 i know many verses by heart. my favorite photo today is number 2, those wing details are amazing.

Rose said...

Wonderful captures...I wish we had them around here.

Chatty Crone said...

Great photos - he was really strutting his stuff

photowannabe said...

Perfect verse and great cormorant photos.
Sue

The Feminine Energy said...

Awwww... what a beautiful animal. One of God's masterpieces!! ~Andrea xoxoxo

Carla from The River said...

Great photos. And I enjoyed reading Isaiah 40.
xx oo
Carla

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Interesting fact, along with a great over all blog look!

Odd that this happens. To birds who need to be in water to fish, I take it, they have to....

Why would they not have evolved, with 'water proof' feathers under their wings?

πŸπŸ‚πŸ

Ruth Hiebert said...

You captured these beautifully.

Red Rose Alley said...

These are very nice photos of the Cormorants in water. I love the second one, as you can see the details in its wings. This is a special verse. I've heard it many times, and I smiled every time I read it. Thank you.

~Sheri

DeniseinVA said...

Great to see, your photos captured them perfectly. Enjoyed the quote also.

A Full House

 While waiting in line at the drug store drive-thru, I spotted this little House Sparrow. I usually think of them as common and drab. But my...