Monday, July 24, 2023

The Office Visit

 Today we went to The University Of Virginia for Phil's regular cancer checkup, which turned out well. Their cancer center is called The Emily Couric Cancer Center. Emily Couric was the sister of Katie Couric. She was a congresswoman here, and died of cancer. Katie built this cancer center in honor of her.



Everything is automated, even the lights and toilets turn on and off according to movement. This revolving door goes around when someone gets inside. So people have no control over it. It scares me and I won't use it!


Here is the front lobby with a big painting of Emily.


This old lady sitting next to us had a cardinal tattooed on her ankle.

The hall walls had been redone with large strips of colorful wood. 


Outside, the Crepe Myrtles were in bloom.


In my next post, I will show you some strange art they had.


Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died.

~Erma Bombeck


15 comments:

The Happy Whisk said...

Never go if the plants have died. That's funny. Glad it went well.

CheerfulMonk said...

That's an impressive place! I'm glad the checkup went well. That's always scary.

roentare said...

Everything seems automated these days

Reanaclaire said...

Yes, I went to toilets with those auto lights before... Once I peeped in, it was so dark that I retreated.. then only I know that we have to step in then only it will light up... :)

Ann said...

An impressive looking building. I don't know if I like the idea of everything being automated. I hope some of that stuff has a back up in case the power goes ot.

MadSnapper said...

It is a really beautiful building and is of course fantastic that she built this to help so many people. I would not go in that round door either. I assume there is another door since you did go inside. I am not fond of automated buildings either.

Mari said...

I'm so glad Phil had a good appt! It's a beautiful place and a great way to honor Emily Couric.

Chatty Crone said...

Glad Phil's check up went good. Thanks for the information on the center.

Red Rose Alley said...

This is a very nice center that was built in honor of her sister. I didn't know this about Phil. Yes, they have those flushable toilets in many places now; kind of strange, but I like them better, less germs being spread I think. This is a nice painting of Emily. I like that cardinal tattoo!

~Sheri

photowannabe said...

Erma's comment made me laugh..I agree, it's not a good sign.
Glad your Hubby's check up went well.
Decor isn't my choice but looking forward to seeing the strange art work.
Our Crepe Myrtles are beginning to bloom too. My itchy eyes tell me so.
Sue

Jeanette said...

Looks like a nice cancer center. What is with hospitals and their strange art? U of M has some strange art too!

Jeanette said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carla from The River said...

Oh my goodness, the quote Ginny is hilarious.

I am so happy to hear the good news regarding Phil.
xx oo
Carla

Jenny the Pirate said...

So much tech! But as long as they are taking good care of Phil, all is forgiven. I know you are thankful for the good report. xoxo

DeniseinVA said...

So glad to know Phil's visit went well. That's an interesting story about Katie's sister. Very sweet to know that she built this in honor of her sister's memory. She looks beautiful in the painting and the place is very high tech. I seem to remember that Katie went to the university.

Thoughts After Parking

 1. The elevator - After parking and entering the hospital, we saw the elevator in the middle of the lobby. It is right in the center, surr...