Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Draft







The Big White Cow



Grapevines






Inside The Local Dairy Queen




The Mennonite Cheese Shop




Little Debbie Factory Truck Docking



This weekend, we drove through Stuarts Draft, a little town about 10 minutes away. The locals affectionatly refer to it as "The Draft". I bet you thought this post was about the military draft! The Draft is a big contradiction. This is because it is in the heart of the Shennandoah Valley and is mostly farmland, home to many very conservative Mennonites, but the farms surround many large modern factories. Hershey Chocolate, The McKee Family factory (makers of Little Debbie), Alcoa, Hollister medical products, and a huge Target distribution center. Timeless, age old ways of living, and modern technology, all mixed together in one charming little town. Enjoy your tour.
"He turned the desert into pools of water and the parched ground into flowing springs; there he brought the hungry to live, and they founded a city where they could settle. They sowed fields and planted vineyards that yielded a fruitful harvest; he blessed them, and their numbers greatly increased, and he did not let their herds diminish." Psalm 107:35,38




6 comments:

Glenda said...

Love this post, Ginny! I enjoy learning about different areas of our beautiful country. I find it very interesting that the old ways and modern industries are able to co-exist! And your pics really give the reader a "feel" for the little town. You'll have to do more posts like this one.

pam said...

fun post...I'm wishing I could go into that cheese shop...mmmmm.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Thanks for the tour of "The Draft"..... It is interesting to see modern technology mixed with the 'old' ways of living ---all in the same community. That is probably rare these days.

Did you stop and sample some Hersheys????? YUM!!!

Have a great day, Ginny.
Hugs,
Betsy

George said...

Thanks for the tour of Stuarts Draft. I'm glad it hasn't lost its rural charm, even when surrounded by modern technology.

MadSnapper said...

what a funny name for a town, great shots ALL. I see that little cow peeking out and I am proud of you for taking INSIDE photos. People look at me like they think I am strange, but I do it anyway. sometimes i embarass the people i am with, but a true photo snatcher does not care.

SquirrelQueen said...

What a great little town, so much big business but it still has the small town feel. The Big White Cow looks pretty big, does she go with the cheese factory?

I think you asked about my white flower the other day, it's a star magnolia. I will have a close up of it on my photo blog tomorrow.

The Big Cow - Easter 2024

 The Big Cow is all dressed up and ready for Easter. And he has brought along some of his friends as well!